What is SAFE?
The Student Advising for Freshmen Excellence (SAFE) Program was founded in 1987. SAFE is a peer mentoring program designed to help students successfully transition through their first year of college. SAFE minimizes academic, social, and economic challenges by providing information about UNC charlotte support services to facilitate a smooth transition for students.
SAFE is a collaborative program between Academic Affairs and Student Affairs that is intended for all University Freshmen; but is targeted toward underrepresented students as a SAFE-ty net. SAFE makes use of individual tutoring, personal counseling, study sessions, interaction with faculty and staff, goal setting and leadership development to aid in the retention and graduation of SAFE participants.
SAFE combines academic support with personal development programming to encourage academic achievement, positive self concept and increased personal growth. Participation in SAFE helps students achieve not only the UNC Charlotte degree of choice but also a degree of excellence in the future.
Benefits of SAFE:
- Connect with other students, faculty and staff
- Develop successful time management skills
- Become familiar with campus resources and services
- Attend workshops geared to their success both academically and developmentally (workshop hosted by various student organizations)
- Connect with a trained SAFE counselor who will serve as mentors throughout your first year
- Develop life-long friendships
- Celebrate the “Small Wins” throughout your first year experience
Registering for SAFE
Registration for SAFE Voyage (Aug 12-16) will be open soon. Students are encouraged to register for SAFE Voyage online to guarantee their involvement with the SAFE program throughout the upcoming academic year. There is limited registration space available for SAFE Voyage students.
Further registration for participation in the SAFE program, not including Voyage, may become available in July should space be available. For questions about the SAFE Program please contact us at 704.687.0363