Spring SOAR FAQs
- How do I register for SOAR?
Registration for SOAR can be done by visiting the SOAR website (http://soar.uncc.edu), then clicking on the “Register for Orientation” link, located on the left side of the page. From there you will want to click on the link directing you to the registration website.
- When can I register for SOAR online?
Registration for December SOAR 2014 and Spring SOAR 2015 opens in October and remains available throughout the fall and winter. You may register any time of day as well.
- How do I make changes to my SOAR Registration?
You can make changes to your SOAR Registration anytime by logging into the SOAR registration website (http://soar.uncc.edu) and selecting the accommodations you need.
- How do I add an additional guest to my SOAR Registration?
Adding an additional guest to your SOAR Registration can be done by logging into the SOAR registration website (http://soar.uncc.edu) and including the individual on the “Guest” tab of your SOAR registration. Payment for these newly added guests can be done using a credit card or debit card while logged into the SOAR registration website.
- Why are only a select number of SOAR sessions displaying as options for me?
The SOAR sessions displayed on your registration screen are those sessions in which your academic major is advising. If your major appears to be incorrect, please notify The Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (704) 687-5507 weekdays between the hours of 8:00am until 5:00pm.
- I cannot attend any of the SOAR dates that are listed on my registration account. What should I do?
If you cannot attend any of the sessions listed on your registration page, please notify the SOAR Office weekdays between the hours of 7:30am until 5:00pm at 704.687.5509 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I am unable to pay with a credit card or debit card. What other methods of payment do you accept?
If you are unable to pay with a credit card or debit card, you may mail in a personal check or money order to the Office of New Student and Family Services. Please make the check or money order out to UNC Charlotte, and mail to:
- c/o SOAR
- King Building Room 208
- 9201 University City Blvd
- Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
- Can I pay for my registration cost when I arrive at SOAR?
It is highly recommended that you pay for your registration for SOAR prior to your session date. Without a payment, we cannot secure your place in a particular session, thus if a session fills before a payment is made; the student must select another SOAR session to attend.
- When I register for SOAR, the system has me listed as a different major than what I want to be. How can I change this?
If you major is incorrect at the time of registration, please contact The Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (704) 687-5507 weekdays between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- I need to reschedule my SOAR session, how can I do this?
You can reschedule your SOAR session by logging into the SOAR registration website (http://soar.uncc.edu) and choosing a different SOAR session to attend. There is no additional charge associated with changing your session date.
- I was just accepted into UNC Charlotte; however, the system will not allow me to register for SOAR. What should I do?
Our registration website updates itself every (6) six hours. It is strongly recommended to check back after 6pm that evening or again the following morning.
- I have decided that I do not wish to enroll at UNC Charlotte and have cancelled my SOAR registration. How may I receive a refund?
If you are not going to enroll at UNC Charlotte for the fall, please contact the SOAR Office at (704) 687-5509 weekdays between the hours of 8:30am until 5:30pm to notify our staff of your cancellation. Once we have keyed in your cancellation, a refund will be issued. (Please note the SOAR Refund Policy.)
General SOAR Programmatic Questions
- Where do I park for SOAR?
Parking for December SOAR and Spring SOAR will take place in the Union Parking Deck. When you arrive on campus, please follow the yellow SOAR directional signs.
It is important to note that these are the designated parking areas for SOAR, and your vehicle will not be charged. Should you fail to park in any other parking locations across campus, parking fees may apply.
- What do I need to bring with me to SOAR?
For all SOAR sessions, students should bring with them the following items: a photo id, a copy of your unofficial transcripts (if applicable), and a copy of your immunization records (if ready to submit).
For a more detailed list of items to bring, please visit the SOAR website at http://soar.uncc.edu.
- What time and where is SOAR Check-In?
SOAR Check-In is from 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. for all students in room 200 of the Student Union.
- I have already completed the online registration and paid the fees associated with SOAR. Are there any additional costs that will need to be paid for at SOAR?
The SOAR registration fee covers all materials throughout the program, various meals, and the student’s housing accommodations for the evening. Any additional costs at SOAR should be completely voluntary, unless otherwise noted by the SOAR program.
- Do I need to stay for the entire duration of SOAR?
Yes. Students must remain with the program throughout its duration. Critical information given to our incoming students throughout the SOAR session; information you don’t want to miss. Should an emergency occur that prevents you from remaining with the SOAR program, please notify a member of the SOAR Staff as soon as possible. Parents and family members are not required to stay for the entire family program; however, it is strongly encouraged.
- Is it mandatory that I attend SOAR?
At SOAR the students meet with their academic advisors and register for their classes. Most academic advisors will not meet with incoming students outside of the SOAR program, so in order to have your SOAR and academic advising holds removed from your records; you must attend SOAR.
- What is the schedule of events during SOAR? How do I get a copy of it?
Unfortunately, we do not provide a copy of the session schedule prior to SOAR because we want to provide our students and families the most up to date information regarding their session. For specific questions regarding the schedule of events, please visit the SOAR website, (http://soar.uncc.edu).
- Will I be with my student for the duration of the program? If not, what parts of the day will we be able to meet up?
No. Students and parents/family members will have separate programs throughout the duration of SOAR. We do this because we understand that the needs of both groups are very different, and it is our goal to have your family leave SOAR feeling better prepared for the spring semester. There are, however, opportunities throughout the day where we encourage students and parents to regroup and share the knowledge they have gained throughout the SOAR experience. These times include: Welcome Session, Meet the College session, and lunch.
- I want to ensure that my student gets all of the classes he/she needs. Can I sit with my student during advising and/or registration?
No. Due to room capacity regulations, we are unable to have students and family members together during advising and registration. We can assure that your student will meet with their academic advisor (assigned based on their major), and our orientation counselors will be readily available to assist our incoming students with the registration process.
- How long is the SOAR program?
Our December SOAR and Spring SOAR sessions are only one day.
- What meals are provided during SOAR?
The December SOAR registration fee covers a continental breakfast and lunch for the student; while the Transfer registration fee for family members and guests covers a continental breakfast and lunch. A continental breakfast will be provided for our Spring SOAR participants. Lunch is on your own.
- I will be arriving late for SOAR; where should I report to for check-in?
Typically, the SOAR Staff will remain at check-in from 7:30am until 8:30am; however, should you arrive after 8:30am, please visit the Office of New Student and Family Services (located in the King Building Room 208). Please note that we will not accept late arrivals after 10 AM for the December and Spring SOAR sessions.
- I am very unfamiliar with the campus of UNC Charlotte. How will I be able to find check-in and parking locations?
We make locating buildings on campus as easy as possible, by placing yellow SOAR signs across campus, pointing you to the key locations throughout the program. In addition, our orientation counselors will be available to guide you throughout the program.
- Will I be meeting with an academic advisor at SOAR?
Yes. Every student who attends SOAR will meet with an academic advisor prior to registration. You are not expected to know who you advisor is prior to SOAR, nor is it your responsibility to schedule your advising appointment.
- How do I find out who my academic advisor is?
Students are not expected to know who their academic advisor is prior to their SOAR session, and it is at SOAR that you will meet with him/her for the first time. If you have specific questions, please contact the academic department according to your major.
- Am I going to be able to register for all of the classes I need?
We cannot guarantee that every student will have the opportunity to register for every class they wish to enroll in for the spring semester. If you have any specific questions regarding what your class schedule should look like for your first semester at UNC Charlotte, please ask your academic advisor during SOAR.
- How do I know whether or not I have to take the Foreign Language Examination?
The Foreign Language Exam is not mandatory to any specific major. If you choose not to take the exam, you will automatically be placed in 1201 of the language you choose. It is important to note that there is a $10.00 charge to take the Foreign Language Exam, with payment being accepted by debit or credit card only when you arrive at the testing site. For more information and to make arrangements to take the exam please contact the Foreign Language Department at (704) 687-8754 or visit their website at http://languages.uncc.edu.
- My student is scheduled to live on campus in the spring and has been assigned to live in ____________. (Moore Hall, Hawthorn Hall, Lynch Hall, etc.) Is it possible to see a room while I’m at SOAR so that I can take measurements?
Unfortunately, we cannot offer room tours within our residence halls during SOAR. During the fall and winter months, we have currently enrolled students residing in our residence halls, thus for their safety and privacy, we are unable to offer such services. If you have specific questions regarding your student’s housing facility, please contact Housing & Residence Life at (704) 687-7501 weekdays between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- I have test taking challenges and will need additional assistance during the Math Proficiency Examinations. Who should I contact?
We understand that not every two students are going to be identical and want to assist all of our incoming students the best way possible. Should you need test taking assistance, please contact Disability Services at (704) 687-0040 weekdays between 7:45am until 5:15pm.
- How do I get to UNC Charlotte from _______________?
In most cases, it may be best to use online services, such as Google Maps or MapQuest, to get directions specifically from your hometown to UNC Charlotte. Directions from surrounding major highways are available via the SOAR website, http://soar.uncc.edu.
- Does UNC Charlotte offer a shuttle service to and from Charlotte-Douglas International Airport?
No. All transportation to and from Charlotte Douglas International Airport must be arranged by the students and family members attending SOAR.
- My degree is listed as a Bachelor of Arts degree; however, I am not an Art major. How do I change this?
A Bachelor of Arts degree does not mean that you are actually an Art major. In fact, many academic majors are considered BA degrees, while others may be considered Bachelor of Science degrees. If you need assistance differentiating the two, please contact your academic major.
- How do I apply for on-campus housing?
Housing & Residence Life is now accepting applications for Spring 2015 housing from new residents. If you are interested in completing the online housing application, please visit http://housing.uncc.edu.
- Will my financial aid cover the registration costs associated with SOAR?
No. Financial aid will not cover the registration costs associated with SOAR.
- When will my financial aid be posted onto my 49er Express Account?
The Office of New Student and Family Services is unaware of the timeline structure set by the Office of Financial Aid. If you have specific questions regarding your financial aid packages, please contact their office at (704) 687-5504 weekdays between 8:00am and 5:00pm, or visit their website at http://finaid.uncc.edu.
- How do I log into my 49er Express Account?
On your letter of acceptance into UNC Charlotte, in the upper right-hand corner, you will notice a box indicating your UNC Charlotte username and student id number. To access your 49er Express account, please visit http://www.uncc.edu and click on the 49er Express log on the top right corner of the page. In the field entitled “Niner NET username”, enter the UNC Charlotte username that is noted on your acceptance letter. Your default password will be your students id number and your (6) six digit birthday. Click the “Login” button, and reset your password to something that you will remember easily. If you need any further assistance with your NinerNET account, please contact Student IT Services at (704) 687-5500 between the hours of 8:00am until 11:00pm Monday through Thursday, 8:00am until 5:00pm on Fridays, noon until 5:00pm on Saturdays, and noon until 8:00pm on Sundays. Please note that does not include during University holidays.
- When is tuition of the fall semester due?
Tuition for each semester is typically due by the Wednesday before the start of classes. For specific information regarding your tuition concerns, please contact Student Accounts at (704) 687-5506 weekdays between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- When are my immunization records due to UNC Charlotte?
Your immunization records are due when you are admitted to the university and should be submitted to the Student Health Center for review by the first day of class according to state law. Failure to comply with the law will result in being dropped from classes and losing on-campus housing if applicable. It may take extended lengths of time to obtain records from other facilities, thus it is recommended that you submit your records immediately upon learning of your admission into UNC Charlotte. For more information regarding you immunization records, please contact (704) 687-7424 or visit their website at http://studenthealth.uncc.edu.
- I am transferring into UNC Charlotte and provided my last institution with a copy of my immunization records. May I have them send a copy/fax my immunization records to UNC Charlotte?
Your may request that a copy of your immunization records from your previous institution be mailed to UNC Charlotte. The Student Health Center at UNC Charlotte no longer will accept immunization records submitted via fax machine, so please make arrangements to either have your documents mailed or delivered to the Student Health Center. If you will be mailing in your records, please use the following address:
- UNC Charlotte Student Health Center
- Immunizations Department
- 9201 University City Blvd.
- Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
- I didn’t have the opportunity to submit my immunization records at SOAR. How can I submit them post-SOAR?
If you were not able to submit your immunization records during your SOAR session, you may still have them mailed to the Student Health Center or you may deliver your documents weekdays between 8:00am until 5:00pm.
- My religious beliefs do not support the requirements for my immunization records. What should I do?
To discuss options in case-specific occurrences regarding the submission of immunization records, please contact the Student Health Center at (704) 687-7424 weekdays between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- Is there going to be a lot of walking during SOAR?
Yes. Our campus is not only beautiful but hilly as well, so it is imperative that both students and family members wear comfortable shoes during SOAR. If you need wheelchair/ transportation accommodations, you may make arrangements by contacting Disability Services at (704) 687-0040 weekdays between 7:45am until 5:15pm.